Friday, May 3, 2019

Travelling in Ethiopia taught me how to slow down and let life happen

“Omelette? Scrambled? Sunny?” The waiter approaches my table, ready to take my breakfast order.
“Oh, scrambled, please.”
“One side or two?”
“Um, scrambled? Like an omelette, but ...?” I make a hopeful stirring motion with my hand.
“One side or two?”
“Ah. Two, please.”
This is not the only time I will encounter a communication gap during my business-mixed-with-pleasure trip through Ethiopia. One of the compelling things about travel is that it knocks one a little off-kilter, out of the comfort zone, sometimes right into the “why did I think this was a good idea” zone. Patience is required. But all’s well that ends well: My eggs arrive scrambled, more or less as expected.

The Globe and Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment